Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Small Farm Accounting and Fairie Tales

When the rFarm CSA was up and running, one of the young daughters of one of my rfarm CSA subscribers dictated a fairie tale to her father to type. When it was finished the whole family came and gave me a copy of it. Because in it, the first place the children go, once the magic begins, is to my farm. 

In her story, after riding the animals wild about the place, two of the Children give me a present. 

Clare and Alex even gave Richard a strong knife which could cut any strong weed which was on his farm bothering him.  The handle was mother-of-pearl and the blade was real gold. 
 
In return I give the children fresh organic food for the rest of their journey "into the hole". 

"Fair trade!" I say. 

I often pause to think of this gift of imagination, this "gold knife with mother of pearl handle", and the idea that the first place a child naturally goes when begining some great and  imaginary journey would be something like a small farm, to stock up on the supplies necessary for the rest of the journey: organic nourishing fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds and nuts.

I have made an effort to make account of that mother of pearl gold knife as true "income" to the farm. So when I get to the discouraging part of farming (my years of it anyway - the book keeping) I take heart! 

Go forth with renewed vigor! 

Hack away the weeds and briars of discouragement! 

Strong, bothersome weeds indeed!    I bet no agri-corporate manager, no matter how much they make, has ever received such a precious and unexpected gift. Not by their wildest imaginings - or anyone else's. 
(Somestimes one thinks they spend their time scheming how to steal such gifts though.) *
 
so

Open your golden farm-tool account today!

Let it accrue your interest.

Keep track of it.

Count it as income.

Use it or Lose it!

------------------------------Some people think . . .  I've been wrong before . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment