Sunday, March 5, 2023

Images, and the future of agriculture

I have carried with me, over the last few decades, an image of myself in my old age (upper 90’s at least). In that picture I sit comfortably in an overstuffed armchair. A colorful native woven wool blanket lays over my lap. Perhaps there is a cat in my lap — or maybe not. But essential to the photo are the two dozen (or more!) beautiful radiant women of several cultures and complexions, arching in age from say 2 to 108, who stand pressed closed or leaning against my chair. A couple, maybe the two-year-old, and another, play at my feet. What unites these females, and is the theme of this scene, is their utter and joyful adoration of – myself! (I think it might be better to avoid confusion if we scratch the cat.) As backdrop to this scene is a walled bookcase – full of – books! I’ve been drawn to thinking of that bookcase, and what it might contain by a question posed recently as I sat in the back of the audience, to three finalist candidates vying for the position of “Director of the Chico State University Farm.” The question was something like “Name one or more books that have influenced your vision of the future roles of Agriculture.” Their answers surprised me, as do my own. I have ambitious visions for the future of Agriculture, and I prejudice in strong favor of Regenerative Agriculture. But tracking where those expectations come from range wild and wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment