Sunday, February 26, 2023

A lesson for youngsters and civics (https://www.chicoer.com September 20, 2022 at 2:14 a.m.)

It was a first for this old timer. This week I was harassed by a group of junior high age boys. I imagine their super power is that they can run faster than me now. In talking with my male peers I discovered that such encounters are not uncommon at our age. It got me thinking about responsibility, and real power, and therefore voting. It seems that with all the fluidity of gerrymandering and city districts, park districts, county districts, etc. that it would not be hard at all, and valuable, to allow and set up a special district covering young people in our county – say those over 12 to under 18, to officially register and vote in any locally appropriate election. Their votes, as things stand now, would not officially count, but irrespective, their votes could and would be accounted separately and made public. I, for one, would be interested in knowing what issues move these young critters to participate in the community civic. I imagine that civics/government are being taught in local schools and this would integrate nicely in a most practical way with that education. Imagine an early teen who knows as much about local elections as an 8 year old knows about dinosaurs or superheros. Awesome! But they would still be able to run faster. Can't change that. Don't actually want to. But giving them this civic informational vote – seems like it would be good practice and an eye-opener for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment